Information Systems & Tools
In addition to data analytics, Acumen builds secure analytic environments (SAEs) that empower government clients – as well as Acumen's own researchers – to answer pressing questions about sensitive health care data, using file formats they prefer and analytics software they know.
Core Secure Analytic Environment (SAE) Capacities
Our flexible SAE:
- Are remotely accessible desktop environments;
- Support multiple analytics applications – such as R, SAS, and STATA – out-of-the-box;
- Feature Acumen-developed analytics tools that help users code programs for analyzing complex health care data, track those programs, and visualize results; and
- Satisfy rigorous federal information security requirements.
SAE Support Services
To ensure that users can effectively access and use Acumen's SAEs, our technical teams provide:
Live technical assistance
- HTML-based, easy-to-search help system
- Acumen Research Teams
- Assistant Secretary of Preparedness and Response (ASPR)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
With more than 20 years of experience in the health care research field, our data experts know how to:
Design data structures for longitudinal research;
- Develop data processing, linkage, and integration algorithms that make big data manageable;
- Perform sophisticated data aggregation techniques that transform complex data into research-ready information; and
- Validate data systems through real-time data integrity checks as well as decades-based trends analysis.
Our custom-built analytics tools help users:
- Query complex healthcare data for critical information;
- Manage, track, and audit statistical programs – regardless of coding language; and
- Visualize analytic results from flexible charts, graphs, and heat maps.
To help users rapidly access and effectively use these tools, we build context-sensitive help systems that enable users to obtain step-by-step usage instructions at any time, as well as provide live technical assistance via email, phone, and webinars.
Our Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA)-compliant website services help
more than 4,500 users from the federal government, state governments, and health care-related
- Securely exchange sensitive project documents via project-specific file transfer tools, and
- Securely discuss sensitive project matters in easy-to-use discussion boards.
- These services also include comprehensive, live website assistance - from helping users to troubleshoot access issues in real-time to walking those users through the website features.
We’ve spent the past 20+ years securing sensitive data and systems from unauthorized access. In the process, we’ve developed expertise in:
- FISMA and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) security principles;
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) information security techniques, such as expert determination;
- Establishing, negotiating, and managing data access agreements; and
- Comprehensive access controls for the end-users.